Skip To Page Content

How to Prevent Space Heater Fires

Posted on by Noble Water and Fire Restoration
Fire Damage Restoration Vancouver WA

Space heaters are a popular way to keep warm during the cold months, but they can also be a fire hazard. Electric devices and equipment are a leading cause of home fires in the United States. Electrical fires are a serious threat to homes and businesses. They can occur when electrical wiring is damaged or when electrical equipment is improperly used. When an electrical fire starts, it can quickly spread through a building, causing extensive damage and potentially harming people.

Space heaters are a standard appliance in many homes, but they can be dangerous if misused. While space heaters can be a convenient and inexpensive way to keep your home warm, they also come with a few risks. In this post, we’ll discuss a few potential causes of electrical fires, the dangers of improper space heater use, how to mitigate them – and where to find fire damage restoration services in case disaster strikes.

Electrical Fire Dangers

 Fire Damage Repair Vancouver WAThe electrical system in your home or business is designed to handle a certain amount of wattage, and when you exceed that limit, you are putting yourself at risk. Overloading outlets is a common but dangerous practice. By plugging multiple devices into a single outlet, you create a potential fire hazard. In addition to posing a fire danger, overloaded outlets can also cause damage to your electrical system. Circuits can be overloaded, resulting in blown fuses or tripped breakers. In extreme cases, this can lead to electrical fires.

To help prevent electrical fires, it is essential to have your home’s wiring inspected by a qualified electrician. You should also avoid overloading outlets and be careful not to place any combustible materials near heat-producing appliances. As long as you’re mindful to follow safety guidelines while using a space heater, it should be perfectly safe.

When and Where to Use a Space Heater

Space heaters see a lot of use in the colder months of the year, but they’re put away in storage when the weather is warm. As a result, you may not notice if something is wrong with your heater until you plug it in. This is an obvious sign that your space heater isn’t functioning correctly and an easy problem to resolve. It’s crucial to keep malfunctions in mind; check the label on your space heater for warnings from the manufacturer. In particular, check its power cord for any signs of fraying or breaking.

To avoid fire danger, always place your space heater on a level surface and keep it away from flammable objects. Never leave a space heater unattended. Turn it off when you leave the room or go to sleep. If your space heater fails while you aren’t paying attention, a fire could start and burn out of control before you know it. Consider getting a space heater with an automatic shut-off feature. This will help prevent your space heater from overheating.

How to Safely Use a Space Heater

Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions when using a space heater. This is the best way to make sure you’re using it safely. But in general, there are a few guidelines to keep in mind.

Make sure space heaters are placed on a level, sturdy surface at least three feet away from anything that can burn, such as furniture, bedding, papers, drapery, or rugs. Also, ensure that it’s not placed somewhere it could be easily knocked over.

Don’t use extension cords or power strips with space heaters. Most space heaters draw more power than extension cords and power strips can handle, which can cause the cords to melt and even start an electrical fire. Because of this, it’s safest to plug your space heater directly into the wall.

After an Electrical Fire

Even if you’re careful, it’s possible for an electrical fire to start anyway. Once the flames are out, your next step should be to contact reconstruction services. After such a traumatic experience, it’s natural that you don’t want to have to worry about how to rebuild while you’re making other arrangements for your day-to-day life. When you call damage restoration experts, you can be sure a team of professionals will be on-site with specialized equipment to get your home back together.

You may not think it, but with fire damage, there is often water damage as well; large fires require large amounts of water to extinguish completely. Excess water will stay in the building and can cause even more damage even after the fire is out. Water damage restoration is important to the property restoration process; mold and mildew can easily grow in the damp environment left behind after a fire. Because of that, it’s vital that efficient water removal is a part of the cleanup process.

Call Noble Water & Fire!

At Noble Water & Fire, we know the aftermath of a property fire is a stressful time. Damage restoration services are a big part of getting your life back on track. We’re restoration professionals and we strive for complete fire damage restoration. When disaster strikes, you don’t want to worry about the repair process. That’s why you should leave it in the hands of a damage repair service with the extensive experience required to get your home back to its original condition.

We’ll make sure your home is free of smoke damage, and we also deal with odor removal and soot removal – and we’ll connect with your insurance company to ensure that your damage restoration claim is filed. Property restoration is important to you, and it’s what we’re best at. So if you’re on the market for an expert damage restoration company, give us a call; we’ll help you get back on track.



Pin it